This is seriously a 40 mile running race that goes from Idaho Falls, Idaho to Bone, Idaho, and back. Our team consisted of 8 members each running 5 mile segments. Initially Mike and I wanted to make this an all family team with us, Richard and Kristin, Brandon, Devan and Amber and Talon. Then then newlyweds decided to stay in Washington for the summer (annoyed sigh :)) and Devan flew across the country cause he was sick of us (j/k). So, we talked a few guys from Mike's work and a girl from the ward into helping us out a little.
My cheerleader
Got my number on and ready to go!
Luckily, because I was the novice, I got first choice on which leg to run. I chose the first because it was the flattest of the legs but got lucky because it was at 7:30 in the morning so I didn't have the the sun blaring as I ran. It was my first time running 5 miles EVER and I finished in less time that I expected! (Yay me!) Mike ran the uphill section, an elevation gain of 1200 feet in 5 miles (wow).
Mike Richard (love the pose) Kristin
Brandon and Kaylee after their runs
Brandon followed on the next leg and due to a mixup ran 7 miles before the next teammate showed up. Mike's coworker's son ran, then Kaylee from the ward, followed by Jody (coworker).
Then Richard got the downhill version of Mike's race (a killer on the knees). Kristin finished up the relay with the last 5 miles back to town in the blaring heat and while she was 17-ish weeks pregnant. That's what I call amazing! We finished around 2:30 giving us a race of almost 7 hours!
The team (as many as were at the finish line) and the kids eating hotdogs
We went to eat hamburgers and milkshakes at the amazing Dixie's Diner to celebrate and to make up for all that weight we surely lost while racing :).
Now we're sore, sunburned, exhausted, and thrilled to death that we made it through the weekend!
AWESOME!!! I wish I were there to participate. Maybe when we move back in a couple of years. I've been running 5 miles a day just for fun because I haven't been able to find a job yet. Bring it on! You guys look like you had a blast! Way to go!
ReplyDeleteWow, you guys are all amazing! I wish I could do something so intense! :) I hope you don't mind, I stole some of your pictures. We forgot our camera last weekend.
ReplyDelete