Mike and I were in the bedroom deep in conversation when a smiling little 4-year old comes and climbs into my lap. . .
double take. . .
"Danna! Tell me you didn't just CUT YOUR HAIR!"
nooooooooooo!!!!
It's true. She did it. . .
I covered my face with my hand and had a mini nervous breakdown right then and there while Mike very calmingly soothed my, now bawling, little hairdresser. . .
I couldn't look at her. . . she had a homemade mullet. . .
every few minutes I was able to say one phrase; "oh Danna, all your beautiful--"
the word hair being replaced by tears welling up in my eyes and a sort of inner panic taking over. . .
I tried to see the broader scheme of things: my daughter was healthy, she didn't hurt herself, hair grows back, all little kids cut their hair at one point or another right?
Then again the welling tears, and the panic. . .
I caught Danna in her room roughly 10 minutes later frantically picking up her toys (so mommy would be happy), and saying things like, "mom how about we throw away this toy. . ." giving herself some self-served punishment.
Break. My. Heart.
I finally was able to give her a hug and tell her that everything was going to be okay (and inwardly chanting that to myself over and over in the process)
So, to help, I grabbed the camera. My security blanket for the insane, and traumatic (to me) things my children do. . . I can find humor in anything (almost), as long as I'm behind the camera.
Mike convinced a smile out of her in this one even though she felt so awful. . .
Mike was finally able to ease my inner turmoil by pointing out a solution. Have my friend Dawn come and fix it. . .
Okay, whew!
Right before the first cut. It's not quite so traumatic to mom the morning after.
And the finished product. This was the only frontal photo I was able to take cause she was a little hyper afterword. I couldn't get her to leave her bangs in front either, we'll work on that.
BEFORE:
AFTER:
And now, a very relieved and happy mommy. THANK YOU DAWN!
Obviously I need to work on my reactions to trauma. Yikes. . .
Yikes! I am sure I would overreact, but I am so glad that it all turned out to be okay.
ReplyDeleteThat really is traumatic! Luckily I only have boys right now and there is not much the could do to their hair :) She really does look adorable with her new haircut! She is a doll!
ReplyDeletePretty sure I'm going to react the same way, I can't even bring myself to getting her haircut now let alone her chop it! Good thing it was fixable!
ReplyDeleteWhy is it always so funny to see other peoples kids do stuff that would totally tramatize yourself?!? Your friend Dawn did a great job it actually looks cute. I guess i have a plus of having boys if they cut there hair ill just buzz it :)
ReplyDeleteAsk Challis how I reacted when she cut her long red hair down to the scalp on top of her head when she was 3. Not my proudest moment. Danna looks adorable with her new short hairs.
ReplyDeleteyak, yak, yak, that's hilarious! Mom told me about the incident last when when I called her up, but it is still hilarious hearing it from you. Talon and I are anxious to come over to compliment Danna on her new hair do.
ReplyDeletePS. Be glad she didn't give Carina or Brynn a haircut too.
ReplyDeleteYou have such a sweet little girl! I love the new do. :)
ReplyDeleteIt's kinda cute!
ReplyDeletethat is the funniest story I have read in a long time. I'm sorry you had to go through that but wow!I recently went through a bad hair moment when i visited OKlahoma, and had to go a to a hairdresser to get my hair fixed. Let's just say Danna's after looks better than mine. I'm patiently trying to let it grow out. ha ha.
ReplyDelete