Monday, September 19, 2011

been reading lately?

Okay. . . okay
you sick of looking at those dorky pictures on that last post yet?

And yes--I love my haircut too--thanks for the kind comments ;)

You know, I really wish I had something to write about today. Things were so crazy busy there for awhile that I think I forgot how to be creative and clever.

So,
Anyone read any good books lately? I'm getting desperate for something new to read that's, you know--not dumb.

Here have been some books I've read recently ...
  • Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins (3 book series) my rating: 5 stars
Everybody's raving about them. I'm included.
Fascinating and well-written. So awful and wonderful at the same time. Loved them.


  • Books of Bayern by Shannon Hale (4 book series) 4.5 stars
I've honestly been kinda on a Shannon Hale kick recently. These are clever and a fun read. (the last one wasn't my favorite but I quite enjoyed the other 3)


  • Book of a Thousand Days also by Shannon Hale (5 stars)
cute. loved it.


  • Women of Genesis Series by Orson Scott Card (3 book series so far) 4.5 stars
He must have done a ton of research. It was a really interesting historical fiction. The first is about Sarah (Abraham's wife), the second Rebekah (Wife of Isaac) and the 3rd about Rachel and Leah (wives of Jacob). I had a hard time getting over the plural wives thing but it was fascinating how he wove a story about these women. The series isn't finished yet (usually I don't even start a series unless they're finished) but each of his books is it's own story so it was fine.


  • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak 4.5 stars
This is not a book that I would have originally picked up on my own. It was a great read though. Lots and lots of swearing but it was all in German so it didn't even phase me really. It's from the point of view of death (not the devil). Fascinating!


  • Free Men and Dreamers Series by L.C. Lewis (4 book series?) 3.5 stars
Interesting history but the fiction was super dramatic to the point that it started driving me a little crazy!


  • Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine 5 stars
Classic. It's just a great story. If you haven't read it--do.


  • Graceling by Kristin Cashore 4.5 stars
Clever storyline. Loved her first book there's a second one called "Fire" that I didn't care for as much. They're related but I don't think it's a series.

  • Culinary mysteries by Josie Kilpack 4 stars
who doesn't like humor and food and busybody women? Cute books. I want to try out every recipe while I'm reading (she has them included at the end of each chapter) if you make one tell me if it's really as delectable as she makes it sound.

  • Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld (4 book series) 4.5 stars
Here's yet another clever little story line. The first was the best and then they kept getting less interesting as the series went on. I'd still recommend them though. People are so much more creative than me.


Okay, I've also read tons of the popular young adult series like the Harry Potter Series, Fablehaven, Inkheart, Leven Thumps, Percy Jackson, Twilight Series ...
I've also read a lot of the historical fiction series: Work and Glory, Children of the Promise, Hearts of the Children, Fisher of Men, Prelude to Glory ...

I'm in need of something new. Preferably a series that's completed already so I don't get antsy waiting for the next one to be written. I CAN'T STAND that!

Anyone have any recommendations?

5 comments:

  1. Talon really likes the Storm Testament Series. It's a three book series written for youth. You might enjoy it! We also have a book called Fire of the Covenant that I really enjoyed. Let me know if you want to borrow any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always looking for a good book, so thanks for sharing some ideas! My all-time favorite book is "The Hiding Place," one I loved and finished recently is "The Help." Have you ever heard of paperbackswap.com ? It's a cheap way of getting newer books if you don't mind getting rid of some you have. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just finishing the Luxe series and I am going to be so so sad when it ends. also the poison study series was REALLY GOOD. I am going to start the glass series that goes along after the poison study in a couple days. but i say go for the Luxe series! LOVE IT! oh and if you haven't read The Help you better get on that one too...super good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you read the series Children of the Promise by dean hughes?? SOOOO good i seriously love love love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am on a list at the library for the Lying Game and Pretty Little liars, both right now are TV series so I thought I would give them a try, I dont know if they are any good yet though but may be worth a try!

    ReplyDelete