Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Keeping it busy

Summer and I are not yet on the same page yet...

Considering I do not yet have children who attend school you'd think that it would be a smooth transition between the school year and summer break but it has pretty much knocked my socks off this summer.

I remember it was a pretty big adjustment for me to go from being crazily busy (in my last semesters of college taking ridiculously hard classes, with a baby, a husband who worked full time, a hard calling, etc.) to being a mom. You know, where the only thing I REALLY had to do each day was keep my kid alive. And I'm the "bare minimum" type of girl ...
It was hard to adjust to doing ... uh ... nothing and being okay with it.

My life has increased in difficulty since then seeing as I now have 2 more kids to "keep alive" but my days are still usually quite mundane.
If you come to my house on any given day It is not clean, I am very often not showered or at least not dressed in clothes for the day.
We have leftovers often and dinner with a side vegetable is usually a bonus.
I try to do at least some cleaning every day, though sometimes my efforts seem fruitless since another room is usually trashed in the meantime.
Turning on the vacuum or clothes washer/dryer in the day means I'm on a roll.
Finding the floor of my kids' room most often initiates tears since my kids thinks the vacuum with eat up all their toys forever (and I'm the type of mom that just lets them go on thinking that since it seems to be a good motivation for them to help).
Getting breakfast dishes off the table before lunch is served is a miracle.
Reading a few chapters of my own book is a bonus--that I probably take more liberally than I should.

You get the picture right? We get stuff done, mostly, but it doesn't seem worth the effort usually since :
1) my kids don't eat what I make anyway,
2) I get more upset after my kids have dirtied a room I just cleaned than one that was already sorta dirty,
3) forcing my children to clean is like plucking each of my eyebrow hairs out one at a time, it takes FOREVER, it's painful, and it usually doesn't look all that great in the end ... (people tell me it'll be worth it eventually but I'm not there yet)
4) mopping the floor means something sticky will be spilled/smeared in the next hour--and why do that to myself?
5) who wants to do 9 loads of laundry in one day?
6) why shower and get ready when I'm sure to be sweaty/spilled on/disheveled or reminded of my stretch marks/belly flab/hairy legs/can't fit into my jeans (or let's be honest, don't have clean clothes to wear) ...

It's easier to just ... not.


So having actual plans every weekend, and playing out in the hot sun and bringing in wet swimsuits along with grass dirt and everything imaginable from outside, and having water/juice/popsicles spilled constantly, and changing clothes (cause they are wet or dirty) 4 times a day to add to my laundry pile, and the icky smell/feel of sunscreen, and my inability to stem some desire to actually cook/clean/do laundry or go anywhere, is REALLY throwing me for a loop. Cause now there really is less time to do it all.
It's just so much EXTRA to worry about (and clean up after) than my normal little routine.

So please--ignore me and my house if you come over ... hopefully we'll get things back together once school rolls around again.

Please feel free to roll your eyes at me and my lack of motivation/organization and discipline. I realize your lives are probably busier and crazier than mine I just am enjoying my sarcastic complaining (While I'm completely ignoring my kids as they mess up their room while I'm writing this blog ...)

Anyhoo--

I really just wanted to post pictures of our adventure a week ago ...
They had a circus going on. Kids got in free ...















It was fun ...
THE END

4 comments:

  1. What fun! I really want to take my kids to a circus. How nice that it was free! And I think that last picture is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yet you're one of the happiest awesomest people I know, with a happy hubby, and happy kids. I seriously have never seen you without a smile. :) Those other things must not matter THAT much! :)

    Love ya Tiff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound like my mother it makes me laugh!! My mom was never a big cleaner she always said that she never met anyone with a personality that was a big clean freak! I dont know if she really truly thought that or she just said that to make herself feel better...SO there with you though on the cleaning, why clean when its just going to get messy again?!?

    ReplyDelete