So, this made our 4th of July celebrations seem extra INTENSE! We rolled out of bed at 6:00 am and high-tailed it into town with droopy-eyed (and hungry) girls for IF's annual 5K race. I figured since I'd already 'trained' for my race last week I'd give it a shot. I'll briefly preface this by saying 3 years ago right after Danna was born I ran the Turkey Trot in TC in the time of 38 minutes plus some. Last year after a bit of training I ran it with a friend in 35 minutes. Just so you know, that's not very fast. This year I ran it in. . . . . . . . drumroll please. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 29:29 give or take a few seconds!!!!!!! (If you couldn't tell from the intro, this was HUGE for me :))
We tossed the girls back in the car and headed up to watch the Idaho Falls parade for the next hour. Danna loved it. After high-tailing it home we quickly packed up and drove an hour and a half to Grand Targhee ski resort for Mike's mountain bike race.
He registered for the 8 mile loop (beginners) category starting a few minutes behind both the intermediate, and the expert categories (which were double and triple the loops, respectively.) Despite starting 2 minutes behind the leaders, Mike finished in 1st place of the beginners and even passed some intermediate racers and a couple of experts. He had an awesome race!!! My favorite part was that his prize was gourmet aged beer!!! HA! He asked for a shirt instead.
We drove home and immediately started prepping for dinner. BBQ at the Sackley's with all our friends and family who had no plans for the holiday yet. We had a blast chatting away and making a mess in our kitchen once everyone got there. Then, when the sun finally set, we took our pajama-clad girls up to the top of the hill behind our house and watched the fireworks. And froze. By the time we got home, it was 10:45 and the girls had zonked. We lit off a few fireworks of our own and finally called it a night.
It's definitely been a long time since we've crammed our day quite this full, but it sure was a fun one.
I think I'll stick to DI being my big thrill for the next little while :)
Hope everyone had a happy 4th of July!!

Wow! What a busy day!!! Congrats on your run time! Mike is just something else... I donno what yet. It's awesome you guys have so many interests and get out there and do them! And you're a lucky duck to have a bbq with the family.
ReplyDeleteWHAT!? Thirty-five minutes isn't very good!? All this time I was thinking I was awesome and I wasn't? :)
ReplyDeleteHa!! you had almost no training whatsoever for that race. I think 35 minutes was pretty awesome for you. The year before I HAD trained and did it in almost 39 minutes. (and I didnt walk so I was just really really really slow!) :)
ReplyDeleteWe totally need to do it again sometime!
Congratulations! That's awesome that you beat 30 minutes. It sounds like you guys had a lot of fun for the holiday, and by the way, that firework picture is probably the coolest I've seen! And by the way again, thanks for letting Richard take your eliptical. I love it!
ReplyDelete